Is there a pcb shipping delay from china?

I’m seeing from the scan trail that my package of 5 pcbs on 24hr turn has been at a FedEx depot in Shanzhen now for 3 days. Is there a spike delay happening delaying parts shipping out of china?

Shipments over the de minimis threshold ($800 IIRC) is getting held up for customs clearance. I just had a PCBA order that had a 9 day delay through DHL due to clearance issues. I believe the delays are primarily the responsibility of the U.S. CBP’s delay.

1 Like

That said, for your order of 5 pcs, I would have expected it to fly through customs, except that they will randomly hold packages for inspection and that could again be caught in the CBP backlog.

I would imagine that there is fall out due to ongoing issues in Hong Kong.

Interesting that DHL is seeing a 9 day delay. My experience is that FedEx takes some round about paths to/from Asia but DHL is a straight path from Shenzhen to a US hub and it is really quick.

1 Like

Not from what I can tell… I had an order ship on Friday last week and got here Monday.

For reference: Shenzhen to WI via DHL. Two packages - solder screen and PCBs with a sub-$500 total value.

Good luck!
Keith

1 Like

Just re-read your post…

I HAVE seen what look like delays with FedEx International Economy shipments staying in that part of the world for days. I think they have 7 calendar days with that ship method and usually try to pre-clear customs before leaving the territory so it goes straight to the recipient.

Keith

1 Like

Thanks all. FedEx removed the estimated delivery date from their tracking report (they were saying yesterday noon up until 5pm with the package still on the ground in China). I’ll update with actual delivery date when I get it. Fwiw I’m in Calgary, Canada.

Fedex and China are beefing at the moment (as a sub-thing of the trade war mostly). But that’s probably not it.

Next week is Golden Week and the entire country will be pretty much shut down, so I’m guessing lots of people are trying to get things shipped out this week.

1 Like

PCBs arrived yesterday Sept 27. PCBWay met their 24hr metric by 15 minutes, and FedEx met their 7 day estimate if only week days count. The extra couple days was during handover from one process to another. PCBWay’s clock doesn’t start ticking until the start of the next fab shift after payment clears, FedEx doesn’t pick up as soon as the boards are ready, and a package doesn’t leave on the next plane after getting picked up. I admit I was seduced by the lure of a low-cost 24hr turn, and naively optimistic that shipping from the other side of the world is politics and delay-free. I will have more realistic expectations next time. Cheers (and I would order from PCBWay again).

1 Like

Are you trying to say trade war is affecting the shipments? Should be work carefully with Chinese and now Turkish PCBs? Actually, I am willing to import boarding machines from a prototyping Chinese manufacturer.

The 9 day delay was for a package that crossed the de minimis limit for entry without going through the customs collection process. They quote 3-5 days for DHL but I’ve been lucky to get it in as little as 2 days as I live in the Los Angeles area.

1 Like

I placed an order with JLC on Friday evening (USA time), Saturday in China. They approved and started fab the same day. Today DHL delivered the box at 0923. Less than 1 week total. There were 2 different board designs. No extra fee for quick fab.

Tip: I place the order so that JLC will work on the pcb over the weekend. They work 6 (or 7?) days a week. DHL only works 5. It is painful to see that the fab is complete but the package is sitting, waiting for DHL.

2 Likes