Xilinx ISE and W10

Hey there,
I’m wondering if anyone is out there running Xilinx ISE 14.7 under Windows 10 and what if any compatibility issues you are having. I am running on a 9 yr old Gateway desk top running W7 and while I have to temporarily disable anti-virus software to generate a .bit file, I have a HP laptop running W10 that won’t even complete synthesis even though ISE generates no faults or warnings. I suspect Windows defender is to blame for this but I would like to know what issues others are finding.
And, while I’m at it, are there any issues with Vivado?
Thanks to anyone who can offer any insights to either of these combinations!

Can’t say I’ve touched FPGA software in quite a few years. I remember the books and books of CDs (and floppy disks before it!)

What are you developing for?

Lately I’ve been working on developing the building blocks of DC motor positioning controls. Three phase motors controls are a bit in the future yet. So, I have functional modules for reading encoders in full quadrature mode and PWM outputs. I am using a Digilent Anvyl board for the prototyping. I have recently finished a keypad input routine. (The goal is closed loop control on multiple axes simultaneously.) While I have accomplished all of these same building blocks (no three phase) with microcontrollers, they generally lack the speed necessary for reading multiple encoders simultaneously. I have my encoders now at 512 PPR which yields 2048 PPR in quadrature. Ultimately I think this will require the use of something like a Baesys MX3 where the FPGA side handles the high speed signals and the microcontroller side will handle the math. So, to the point of my post, right now I am doing programming on my 8 yr old Gateway desktop (AMD quad core processor and windows 7) I think the time has come to start considering what my next desktop unit will be and to that end I am trying to find out what issues I may find running W7 vs W10.

I’m getting into a somewhat similar issue with my laptop. It’s a 10 year old Dell Vostro that I love so much I’ve been keeping on life support. It’s running Windows 7 with ISE 14.7. Unfortunately, if you are using the Anvyl board which looks like it’s using a Spartan 6, ISE is your only option as that family of FPGA isn’t supported in Vivado. I ran into the same issue with one of my current projects which uses a Spartan 6. I haven’t tried upgrading to Win 10 yet, but I found this guide on the EEVBLOG that looks like it has some helpful info for getting ISE to work properly in that environment.

I’ve been able to run ISE without any real problem on my desktop running W7. It has been my HP laptop running W10 that didn’t work. I went through the procedures outlined in the guide you linked here and I am now able to run ISE on W10. Thanks!!! This makes planning my next desktop buy or build much easier!

1 Like