What to do after being EE

Hi to everyone who is reading this post. I wanted to give a question here related to electronics. Because electronics is to big to say that I am electronics engineer, how we can describe sub categories of electronics. Like a audio, smps, power electronics, pcb layout, emc and so on. Could anyone here give your point of view?. I want create some sort of map. Thank you for any answers :slight_smile:

This is a great initiative! @Patryk_Rzonca

Yes a map would be good, but I think classifying it based on major streams/subjects would be good too.

I’m just “thinking-out-loud” here - but I’d suggest you list out all the major “subjects” that are covered in a 4/5 year EE engineering program (Analog Circuit Design / Linear Electronics, Digital Design, Antennas ad Transmission Lines, Electric Machines, Control Systems, … ) and then have a list of roles / job profiles that require those “topics”.

Example:

1. Automotive Infotainment Engineer Role would be mapped to embedded systems, microcontrollers, RTOS, digital design, and maybe wireless communication.
  2. Power Electronics Engineer would map to Power Electronics, Electric Machines, Control Systems, etc

What do you think?

Wider search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=electronics+disciplines+map&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_m_mExc7uAhWDPOwKHasBCekQ_AUoAXoECA8QAw&biw=1920&bih=943

I would say one of the main difficulties is that on any given day, I am about 3 different types of engineer (at least in the consulting space). Are you thinking specifically in terms of job titles? Or simply the areas that an engineer might work in/on during the course of their normal duties.

Job titles are not really close to wha engineer should do in my opinion. By this question I had in mind ares :slight_smile:

Companies hire EEs and other engineers to participate in the team sport of project/product/system/process (PPSP) development. We are asked to collaborate with each other and think our way through to logical solutions that cost less or improve the value of the PPSP. Rarely do we engineer something that has never been done before. Rather, we take what we know from training and experience and apply that knowledge to arrive at a solution that fits the situation. EEs work with technicians and other engineers all the time. We do everything: attend meetings, locate new components, help construct prototypes, write code for embedded processors, create schematics for cables and printed circuits, design circuit board layouts, design and conduct tests of components and subsystems and full systems.

When other specialty engineers are not part of the team, EEs can step up and take on those rolls. For example: I once designed an enclosure for circuit boards that had to fit in many different robotic handlers and allow a semiconductor manufacturer to test ICs with many different packages. The alternative was for our test group to continue to send unprotected test boards to the test floor and have to repair or replace them constantly. Once the enclosure design was done, I had to make mechanical drawings, locate fabrication shops, get bids, write purchase orders, install first test boards and connectors and fit check the enclosures into the many different handlers. I also had to introduce the enclosure to other test groups and train operators on the test floor to connect and disconnect them properly. Note that making that last bit easy for non technical people is “engineering” at its core.
I hope this helps.
Tim Miner