What are you reading? July 2021 edition

Had to post an update after this recommendation two years ago:

A LONG time follow up, just finished book 8 of the series – all audiobooks. Thank you for the recommendation @JuliaTruchsess, I loved it! Took a couple breaks to listen to other books, but what a wild ride! Highly recommended

My other books/things I’m currently reading:

2 Likes

Glad you liked it, @ChrisGammell! Now on my third or fourth time through the entire 22 books of Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin series :slight_smile:

I’m hoping Seveneves is a decent movie.

1 Like

What are you thinking of Zephyr Project at the moment? I tinkered with it once about a year ago…it looks promising, but I didn’t think it was ready for prime time yet.

Project Hail Mary on Audible was a great return to The Martian author’s writing. I like when sci fi stories really focus in on the implications for a new discovery. Attaching it to present day then extrapolating from there.
I’m currently doing a high mileage virtual race and going back through The Expanse series while I run. Ready for the finale this fall!

For any audiobook listeners out there, Audible is doing a huge sale on sci-fi right now: https://www.audible.com/ep/otherworldly-sale

1 Like

While I cannot say I did it while running, I also re-listened recently and it holds up! Can’t wait until November! (thought it was this past November when book 9 was being released…darn!)

I just started reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisen. Highly recommend for scifi/fantasy fans.

I’m reading The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck. A story about pre-revolution peasant life in China. And JavaScript: The Good Parts.

…it has good parts? :wink:

1 Like

I’m reading The Butterfly Defect, by Ian Goldin and Mike Mariathasan, which looks at systemic risks of globalism. It was written pre-COVID-19.

I’m also reading Making Embedded Systems: Design Patterns for Great Software by Elecia White, just to see other ways to explain what I do to others. That’s always one of my biggest challenges. I can write firmware, but can I explain myself?

…it has good parts?

Chuckle. I was learning a bit more JavaScript yesterday by trial and error, and wanted a way to convert a string “true” or “false” to a boolean, and so tried in console;

>> Boolean('false')
true

Far out. But well documented.

I found a copy of this at a thrift store last week and was surprised by how good it was. Hadn’t bought it before, as I mistakenly assumed it was targeted more towards the Arduino set.

I was totally wrong. It’s a great book.

SUNBURST and LUMINARY, An Apollo Memoir, by Don Eyles. A really interesting recounting of getting drawn into the Apollo guidance/landing software effort. It’s a personal memoir which is a nice contrast to some of the more dry histories I’ve read. It also doesn’t skimp on technical details and trivia which I appreciate.

I’ve started to read biographies. I used to hate them, especially autobiographies which are the most egotistical and narcissistic form of writing. But with biographies, I just realized I was reading about lame people.

But then I started reading this biography on Benjamin Franklin. Which, tbf, he did auto-biography but you can skip that. What I learned is that all of his famous experiments on electricity and the like happened in his 40s. Before this was his career as a printer. But all of the Franklin Stove and kite stuff was after he retired from printing. The famous picture of old-BF with the kite is not accurate, he was still pretty young when he did that.

Then, he started to get more into civil organizations. Some of the organizations he founded are still active today which is pretty impressive.

Anyway, from this audience the take away from BF is his multi-faceted interests which helped him in all areas.

The other bio I’m reading is on John Paul Jones, the founder of the American Navy. Who was Scottish, “accidently” killed some of his crew, was accused of piracy, helped the Russian Navy, and had other epic adventures. Most of y’all are land lubbers so I’m not sure this will appeal.

1 Like

Since it’s holidays here in Norway now, I’m finally reading a book I’ve had on my shelf for a long time. Who could have thought that a book about debugging Embedded Systems could work as a crime novel? Really enjoying this and there’s plenty to pick up that can save you weeks of debugging https://www.amazon.com/Only-Changed-Software-Phone-Fire/dp/0750682183