What are you reading? December 2019 Edition

The holidays were a great time to catch up on reading. I managed to score a few books as Christmas presents too!

As a reminder, this post is a public community post to hear about other peoples’ book choices and adding to our ever growing reading lists.

I usually split what I’m reading into business, technical and fun books, but you are welcome to post however you’d like!

Here is last month’s post as reference: November 2019

Business Related:

I actually haven’t read the The Phoenix Project, which I’m planning on adding to my list as well.

Self Improvement:

• Currently reading
  • Recently finished
    • Technical
    • Business
    • Enjoyment
      • Draft No. 4

• This was a book club book for a group of friends with technical backgrounds. I had written last month that I thought it was going to be more technical than it was, though I did agree with a lot of what Phillip wrote about it in response. Prior to the 3rd or 4th chapter, I did not realize that it’s actually a collection of the author’s essays from the New Yorker. Many of them are available online, so you don’t actually need to get the book to read the content. If I was going to put them in order, I’d probably put the chapters as thus: 2, 7, 8, 3, 4, 1, 6, 5. While I did like Phillip’s points in the link above, I don’t know if I would recommend this as a way to get started at writing. This is a couple of tips and tricks lined with many many anecdotes. It’s up to the reader to tease out the value.
      • Where the Crawdads Sing

• Really well written. I feared it was going to be like Educated, in that it had a similar backstory for the protagonist, but that was quickly put to rest. The book delves deep into the ideas of abandonment and betrayal and are really hard to read sometimes. The narration was done well on Audible and helped the book come to life. It was a family book club book, I’ll be interested to hear what they have to say about it, though the time between us reading it and talking about it was a few months, so I might need to refresh my memory.

The bible! One of the best illustrations of all time is on pg 381:

Ott%20p381

Somehow my inner cheapskate prevented me from spending the $100 and buying the book. Now I realize that it has FAR more value than that contained within the pages and I can’t believe I waited this long.

Great diagram!

1 Like

I am quite new to electronics, just started my first more serious project after audio amplifier and adjustable 12V power supply :slight_smile:

Currently, reading: (technical books for me is going really slow :))
Technical:
Art of electronics
Printed Circuits Handbook
Practical Electronics for Inventors

Recently finished:
The Richest Man in Babylon
How Google Works