Tim's Build Log

@ChrisGammell Any progress on why I can’t access the content?

Ok, so I forgot to try Chrome before I wrote that response. It does work in Chrome, so I can get what I need. I suppose it is worth a mention that it does not work in Firefox though.

It works! I wish I had included an on/off switch though :smiley:

1 Like

It definitely shows that I went weeks without practicing soldering. The first capacitor was extremely difficult for me, but it got easier as I went through. The R2 was the last 0806 that I put on, and afterward I added the led and the battery holder.

Wow I thought that would get at least one constructive criticism from @Graeme or @Jverive . Did I write something wrong or did everyone get busy all of a sudden? I didn’t expect all of that attention forever, but this went from feeling like a crowded room to an empty field.

Well, I’m proud of it. I also wanted to ask if the CE Header ended up being used very often. I see the potential, but that only exists if there are many boards that use it. It also doesn’t include any differential pairs, so doesn’t that mean the bandwidth is a bit limited? I keep wondering if I misunderstanding something along those lines, because it seems a lot of these small fpga boards also don’t expose differential pairs even though there is support in the fpga itself.

Take silence as good news! Sometimes people wait for a clear invitation to comment as people have different reasons for posting their work (primarily this is your log) and it can be a good convention to withhold comments until it’s clear someone would like to hear from you.

Looks great to me! If you have any isopropyl alcohol and a soft brush (like a worn out toothbrush) a quick sluice and gentle scrub can often remove the flux residue and make the board more aesthetically pleasing and less sticky! Depending on the flux used, you may want to remove it because some are corrosive over the long run and can eat away at traces and joints. But that won’t stop you from having a successful Blinky, so it’s a minor consideration.

Thank you for the response @smerrett79 . I did apply some isopropyl with a cotton swab, but it is pretty evident in the picture that I didn’t do a thorough enough job. It may partially be because I only bought 91% since my two year old wanders near my work bench.

It really is nice to be part of a community like this, especially when you are new like me. I wish this type of community had existed back when I was learning to program.

1 Like

Newsgroups has existed in maybe 40 years, but vary in quality since they are unmoderated. Content here is great and no bickering

Sorry, as I said I’ve been away (family emergency) so I’ve not been able to scrutinise your PCB on a large screen until now.

As @smerrett79 mentioned, it could do with a good clean. Don’t worry about hitting it with isopropyl alcohol, you won’t do any damage. Even soapy water works providing you let it dry fully. Otherwise, it looks fine - a little bit more practice and you’ll be perfect. The lower side of C1 is what you’re aiming for.