Teensy Breakout Layout

Originally published at: https://contextualelectronics.com/topic/teensy-breakout-layout/

It should probably be obvious, but can you print the steps necessary to flip the footprint of the Teensy to the back side as shown ~8:45 minutes into the video. I’ve tried the f keyboard shortcut, but it seemingly just rotates the footprint by 90 degrees, keeping it on the front side of the board.

I’ll take a look at this

In the CE Header course the lesson topics do not appear to be in order.
The CE footprint is listed before the CE schematic.

You’re right, I’m sorry about that! Fixing now.

It would be helpful to me if there were some form of a “one-stop” checklist of things to do to assemble all of the necessary files to submit to Oshpark after completing a layout. For example, click on “Plot”, generate drill file, etc, etc, along with the necessary settings along the way. Not necessarily specific to the Teensy Breakout, but rather a general topic. I suppose even more generally, it seems there could be a larger general category of Kicad usage topics and best practices. Everything from schematic design, footprint association, layout topics, etc. Just a thought.

You can skip the Plot step and upload the .kicad_pcb file directly to OSH Park:
Native KiCad uploads

We do have KiCad tips on OSH Park, most importantly our KiCad Design Rules. We also have a general “pre-flight” checklist that explains how to create a design that we’ll interpret and fabricate the way you expect.

Please feel free to email support@oshpark.com if you have any questions.

Thanks, Drew (drew@oshpark.com)

A lot of the videos brought across from “CE2” are before OSH Park offered the direct upload of the .kicad_pcb - which now makes it too easy. Having said that, it is still a good idea to plot the gerbers and have a good look at them to make sure things line up the way you expect or want, before submitting the .kicad_pcb. Just the renaming and zipping step is no longer required.

Good point, it can still be useful to plot and view the gerbers.

(fyi: our documentation on Generating KiCAD Gerbers)

Thanks, Drew

I’m wondering what physical parts you use for the CE header, especially the female side. A 2xX header would work, except there’s the keying slots. So just three pieces of 1xX female headers cut to size? Something more interesting?

Not sure if this is covered in a later video, I haven’t run across it yet.

I just used pin headers cut to size. Two 4-pin and one 8-pin. For the socket, it was the same. I did not have sockets the right size. Cutting them is a bit tricky but possible.

Yep, I did the same as Steve. I think having sets of 1, 2, 3, 4, 8 pin (female and male) headers around usually allows you to do a lot of things.