Soldering iron tip cleaning and tinning

My genuine hakko tips never died when I first got my 926. Then at some point, my collection of tips started including knockoffs. I lost track of which is which, but there are clearly tips that are still in very good shape and others that are shot.

If you keep the Hakko tips at 650F (uh, 343C) or so, they seem to last being left on for days…

I have heard people say they use knock-off tips because of genuine tips being expensive.
How much do they cost in other countries?

For me, a single genuine Hakko tip here in Bulgaria costs about 11BGN which using today’s exchange rate is $6.75. That doesn’t seem expensive, even if I don’t consider the fact that I don’t know of a local place to buy knock off tips so I’d have to buy from Amazon and pay probably $20 for shipping and customs and at the end, 5 or 6 knock off tips will probably only cost me $3-5 less.

In my case, it started out not because of cost but easy availability of various tip shapes in a mixed bundle. Plus, over time, I’ve accumulated various random bits from Radio Shack or included as a free gift with my PCB order, etc.

I’ve never had to replace my Hakko tips so I can’t tell you how well anything else lasts. But, honestly, I have no desire to find out. I have had my 936 for 15 years or so and use it between 10 and 15 hours a week. Based on that, I wouldn’t bother with knock-offs if I had to replace.

I have a little squirt bottle with water in it that I use to wet the sponge and refill it once a week or so. Don’t see it as particularly slowing me down.

Hi…I cleaned the tips with a Scotchbrite type kitchen scourer (fiber type) cushion prior to connecting. At that point as the iron warmed up (as Keith recommended) I applied Powerflow transition to it - I was unable to find any Tip Tinner on schedule. The tip oxidizes as the iron warms up in the event that it isn’t fluxed. At that point I applied the patch and it stuck.

It worked better on the “official” Antex substitution tips than the “independent” ones I had. I realize Powerflux is awful stuff - however better to have an iron that works and abbreviate its life than put it in the canister. I think one issue was the Phosflux 12 I was utilizing wan’t sufficient.

Just to clarify: I am not interested in how long the knock offs last, as I have no intention buying knock offs. I am curious how much do genuine Hakko tips in other countries cost, that some people buy knock offs because of the genuine ones being expensive. I mean how expensive can they be?

@LoriePetty I agree. Better have an iron with a short life but working, than not working at all.

Speaking of using Scotchbrite on the tips: In my country (Bulgaria) the DIY way of “caring” for your tips is unfortunately quite common here. If you gather people that solder, in a room, you can’t toss a coin without hitting at least one person that “cleans” their tips by sanding them, using a weird compound to solder with or something even weirder to clean their tips with. I feel like on one end of the spectrum, sandpaper is the most popular tip cleaner here, while on the other - aspirin is the most popular tip cleaner here :smiley: