Scott Clemens' Build Log

Hello world!
I love electronics, 3D printing, and I’m getting into CNC/laser stuff! Once I get out of the Navy I will pursure an EE degree, but for now I try to soak up as much hands-on fun as possible! I can’t wait…

1 Like

Welcome Scott! Glad you decided to join!

What kind of CNC and laser stuff are you working on?

Chris,
Laser (2W) - right now I’m trying to cut a wood 6-pack holder (3mm plywood sheets), and hopefully later on I’ll be able to etch some metals with the right coat first
CNC - usually single-sided PCBs, some carbon fiber plates for drones, but I’d like to get into more 3D cuts, maybe even aluminum!

Next project: grbl limit switches

This isn’t necessarily a difficult project, it’s more of the CAD process that will be new for me. I plan on using Kicad, as I am more familiar with Eagle. I am not entirely comfortable with what Autocad has done with its current amalgamation of Eagle into Fusion 360, but it is a start in the right direction. Once the kinks have been worked out I may continue along that pathway.

I did it!

Kicad >> Flatcam >> CNCjs
Kicad >> Fusion 360

Now I just need to solder everything, attach it to my CNC, and then add it in my GRBL settings as endstops.

Ah, very cool! Thanks for introducing me to FlatCAM, I wasn’t aware of it. :)

@curious Yea I used the FlatCAM Beta version, and had to relearn/stumble through the settings as a lot had changed. Perhaps this Youtube video might help, that’s what I used.

Current project: digital clock with 74xx series chips.

HH:MM:SS format, in 24 hours. I have each digit driven by a 7447 connected to a 74163 (4-bit binary counter). The counter output values are connected to a NAND gate to reset each counter respectively upon max value. Clock pulse is on trailing edge for the counters. When a lower digit reaches its max value and resets, the reset is tied to the next digit clock input. For the clock pulse I had originally used an Arduino Nano, then I tried to get a 555 to be precise (HAHAHAHA…no). Plan is now to use a 32.768 kHz crystal knocked down with a 14-bit counter, and another D flip-flop after that for 1 Hz.

Also, I would like to invert the 7447 outputs so I can make my own 7-segment displays with 3 LEDs per segment, driven by 12-15 volts. It would need to be common cathode as I doubt the 7447s could sink the current.

Check it out:

Okay in my infinite wisdom I managed to buy normal 74163s, and not a 74LS163 variant. These babies get pretty warm and soak up 620 mA (that’s what my power supply is showing at least). I will be buying the 74LS163s to refit the logic with them. Their clear and load are both active HIGH, as opposed to the normal 74163 which have CLR and LOAD as active LOW. Minor changes to the reset logic portions.

I do isolation milling also on touch up PCBs

One thing to be careful about is that the dust is hazardous, so you need good extraction of the dust to the outside

1 Like