Project Idea [I’m sure this will change in time as I learn]
Smart Swimming Pool Pump Controller with WiFI
- Controls turning the swimming pool pump on/off on a schedule (220v)
- monitors the outside temperature to cycle the pump in winter to keep the pipes from freezing
- monitors the pump intake temperature
- monitors the solar output temperature
- cycles the solar pump based on schedule or temp (110v)
- Display with Menu
- Logging to SD card or MQTT (or both)
- Add-On PH Sensor that can e-mail/Log when PH is out of range.
- Add-On Autofill based on water level
I got about 70% of a prototype and coding assembled using breakout boards for SD/RTC/Relays, Thermocouplers, etc and a arduino nano. I had a good start to a menuing system on a Nokia 5110 display and a 3D printed enclosure,
What stopped the project:
The complete rats nest (now I understand the term better) of wire involved trying to wire this all together in a sensible manner (I need a PCB I think).
My control of the 110 and 220 is a mechanical relay controlled by the arduino, I’ve read about optocouplers that isolate the circuit, but have no idea about being safe around 220 (let alone 110).
My code was at the initial stage, mostly centered around the menuing system and pump control.
No Experience getting this wifi enabled or MQTT or other protocols to help make this a ‘smart’ system.
Thats the ‘big’ project I dream of putting together, I also think if it turned out right there could be a small interest among other hobbyist or just pool owners wanting a cheap way to ‘upgrade’ their pool control