Podcasts for 2020

Does anyone subscribe to the audio version of the Economist? Iā€™m curious, I donā€™t have the stamina to read the magazine but I think I would be interested in the content.

I used to split the subscription with my Dad, he would take the paper version, I would take the audio. It is a TON of content. All of it very good and read to you by a person with a very proper and pleasant British accent. My argument against it is much like @kasparā€™s with the Audm stuff: Itā€™s all captive in their app. But itā€™s quite good, and much more worldly than the Audm content. The technology section was lacking when I used to have it, but perhaps it has improved in the 4 years since I had the subscription.

I sometimes did the Ā£12 for 12 issues thing and also sometimes errā€¦ downloaded the audio version (ahrrg!). Mostly for the tech section.

I agree the Economists is often well written but in the past I was less aware of itā€™s inherent biases. Would suggest a dosage of the Citations Needed podcast, especialy Episode 98: "The Refined Sociopathy of The Economist" to go with it.

I actually wrote a post about podcasts and courses to look at while trapped at home on the OnlineComponents blog

1 Like

Since I am guessing the forum prevented you from posting the link, for everyoneā€™s convenience: https://www.onlinecomponents.com/blogpost/226-podcasts-courses-for-engineering-people-staying-at-home

Thanks Kaspar - new to the forum - will add it to my regular stops

I really like Robinhoodā€™s Snacks Daily podcast. Itā€™s lighthearted business news that helps keep me sharp on business strategy and stock market news. Plus I think the guys who host it are pretty entertaining.

I also really like Getting Curious with Jonathan van Ness. Jonathan is a great interviewer. He likes to put out a pretty queeny vibe, but he asks a lot of really good and challenging questions to his guests. Itā€™s a great way to get a good look at a field you wouldnā€™t normally know much about in an hour or so.

1 Like

Discovered this today: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/audio/2020-06-10/introducing-foundering-podcast

Pretty good, Iā€™m sure some of you are like me an enjoy a good startup post mortem

I like a post mortem as much as the next person, but I donā€™t need a serialized podcast to explain to me what a doinkus Adam Neumann is. Ugh, WeWork! :slight_smile:

Doinkus like a fox.

ā€œIn October 2019, Neumann received close to $1.7 billion from stakeholder SoftBank for stepping down from WeWorkā€™s board and severing most of his ties to the company. He was retained as a consultant with an annual salary of $46 million.ā€

Nice work if you can get it!

Yeah, only took him destroying about $44B in perceived value for them to pay him off to get the heck out of the way (though I saw an article that it might not happen now). I too hope to fail my way to riches someday.

This all said, I guess I could see why it might make for an interesting podcast :smiley:

If you do find disaster stories about startups and the personalities that cause them entertaining, but maybe with more of a comedic twist thereā€™s also The Dollop and Behind The Bastards.

They donā€™t only cover startups and often what they cover is more historical but I know The Dollop did Uber and Behind The Bastards did Elon Musk recently.

Iā€™d missed this thread! I mainly listened to The Amp Hour, Embedded, Hackaday and MacroFab. I have a couple of suggestions which I havenā€™t seen mentioned:

• 3D Printing Today - Podcast which covers both hobby and professional level printing, worth listening to if you do any 3D printing. Iā€™ve got more and more into 3D printing boards for fit/feel testing in the last year!
  • OnTrack with Judy Warner - Altiums general PCB design podcast. They have some really interesting guests on and it has pointed me at a few interesting resources. Unfortunately they tend to tease a lot of talks at AltiumLive and skip the good stuff. Still worth checking out.

Iā€™ve also listened to a few a Hello Blink shows and enjoyed them so far.

1 Like

I am really enjoying On The Metal from http://oxide.computer, and very much looking forward to Season 2. Delightful mix of retro and embedded chat (or ā€œtales from the hardware/software interfaceā€) with people who really know their stuff.

2 Likes

WeWork was his fifth attempt at a business. So, the lesson is, if you also want to fail your way to the top, you need to practice.

He is more like the most successful con man in history. Itā€™s just a complete shame to think what that money would do if invested in actual businesses.

Really dodged a bullet that it never hit IPO

Engineering Commons

https://theengineeringcommons.com/

Not as good as amp Hour by far

Looks like the latest episode is from 2018 so it seems like itā€™s wound down now. My favorite episode from the Engineering Commons was when they interviewed iFixit CEO Kyle Wiens:

https://theengineeringcommons.com/episode-127-technical-writing/

Hi @kaspar just saw this and wanted to say thanks for sharing :grin: Hope youā€™re still enjoying the show, if you have any feedback please let me or @ShawnHymel know!

2 Likes