Missing pictures from posts

The missing images seems to be something with the backend S3 storage of the forum, the images have either gone missing or the permissions have changed.

@ChrisGammell, you will probably want to look into this and check on the forum hosting because this could be a problem if we’re going to have images in posts go missing.

Have you been seeing this on multiple posts? Could you post examples here? I wanted to make sure I split out this issue from the build log.

Testing with a new picture here:

So it seems like new pictures are ok. Was it just @jonthomasson’s posts? Anyone seen this elsewhere?

Hey @ChrisGammell, I’m not sure if it’s related or not, but I noticed one of the pics Matt posted on his build log today is missing: Matt’s Build Log. Then in the Building out your Lab discussion, the pic I posted of the storage shelving is missing: Building out your lab. It seems like they were showing for a little while, and then just vanished. I noticed at least with the picture I posted it’s throwing an “Access Denied” error from the web service.

1 Like

Yes, like @jonthomasson mentioned the picture that Matt posted went missing very quickly, the ones that Jon posted took a few days. I had some images cached, but when I cleared my cache they were gone and I would get “Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden)” in the browser console and “Access Denied” from the S3 bucket.

BTW, @algoritaville’s build log starts off mentioning he’s in IT, maybe can trade services there :smiley:

Mine was saying that yesterday but now it appears if you click the image it’s back, just isn’t showing the preview any longer.

I took another look at this and it looks like you’re right the actual image is there, but the preview/optimized version is broken. It isn’t showing access denied or forbidden for the preview, it is actually responding with an ‘OK’ 0 byte response:

curl -v 'https://ce-forum.s3.amazonaws.com/optimized/1X/51fb2a7eb1deb7b2993cf5c5b9023b056cf177ce_1_666x500.jpg' -H 'Pragma: no-cache' -H 'DNT: 1' -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br' -H 'Accept-Language: en-GB,en-US;q=0.8,en;q=0.6' 'Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8' -H 'Cache-Control: no-cache' -H 'Connection: keep-alive' --compressed

responds with:

< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< x-amz-id-2: ZSxjbcikmg5E1658i5Wt+Nu+mp00ngEYwnhP+i6MMuuU8R/Bsp8bx0FOCqGJn5je9ZTFvTTkeno=
< x-amz-request-id: 8BE817FFED1495DF
< Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2017 15:03:39 GMT
< Last-Modified: Tue, 04 Jul 2017 21:04:13 GMT
< ETag: "d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e"
< Accept-Ranges: bytes
< Content-Type: image/jpeg
< Content-Length: 0
< Server: AmazonS3

It would be interesting to see if there is a file in the S3 bucket that is 0 bytes, or if it is missing but the server is responding with OK even though there is no data.

Since we haven’t seen any issues since, I’m going to close this topic. I am guessing there was a blip when the images were uploaded. If people are very concerned, I would recommend downloading the image and trying uploading again. I realize this isn’t an optimal solution, but it seems limited in scope to not worry too much right now. If people see it happen again, please let me know ASAP.

1 Like