Michael's Build Log

Hello,

Got the gift of CE for Christmas. Have an interest in robotics but would like to expand knowledge and usage of electronics beyond using off the shelf modules. Did do electronics in school however between school and now I have forgotten most of what I learned, so looking to get familiar with the Practical and the theory after many years.

Would Like to build custom hardware for robotics such as controller boards with integrated motor controllers and sensor processing rather than purely being restricted to off the shelf modules as I am at the moment.

Welcome, Michael! Looking forward to seeing your robotics builds documented here!

So after a terrible week with work and not a great session with councilor

Decided this week on Wednesday to follow the shine on course using kicad 5 and follow things through while working out what is different. After a 2 hours got the following:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tJZF0rTH1y8tLmnYU4qYBZknhMrSSzCm

Got the board being produced and parts from Farnell which will be arriving soon.

• Cv Pcb is now Assign PCB footprints to schematic symbols
  • The footprint library is different but some careful reading
  • In the PCB Layout editor could not find the Spread out foot prints so just hovered over hit the M key and dragged each layout items separately.
  • PCB layout now seems to lack the mode buttons from what I could see

So managed to get to local hackspace tonight with the ordered PCB and parts and put together three boards of shine on. First time smd soldering by hand and as such my boards are wee bit on the blobby side.

so for testing if the boards work didn’t use python as was on a RPI 1 with no network connection ended up using the following on commands in plain bash:

#export gpio 0 because not in bcm layout mode on pi 1
sudo echo "0" > /sys/class/gpio/export
sudo echo "out" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/direction
sudo echo "1" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/value
sudo echo "0" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/value