Levelling up and sneaking an Analog Discovery 2 on to my desk

Hi,

I’m an archetypal hacker (in the old school sense), so mostly self-taught & teaching others so @ChrisGammell’s top down approach resonated with me immediately.

Whilst I’m building a variety of IoT devices using KiCad and getting boards made and doing SMD and sending stuff out for manufacture, I want to fill in the gaps in my knowledge and perhaps take time out to get a bit more organised (like having my own KiCad validated component library so I stop messing up with BSS84 with it’s wrong footprint), improve my circuit toolbox and draw schematics that look like I might know what I’m doing.

So I’m looking at the Journeyman package with the Analog Discovery 2 because I’d probably benefit from having a 'scope on my iMac screen and I do love my toys.

This package appears available but I’m checking - is it?

I’m in the UK, how do Diligent fulfil the shipping on the AD2? Does it come from the US?

Cheers all!

2 Likes

you can buy it from rs components in the uk and its local ship, farnell might have it too.

(just thought that this might be a package deal, so if so ignore that :slight_smile: )

And I can’t recommend it highly enough. I have the original AD and it’s one of my favorite tools.

Same here! I like it and use it so much I added a low noise amplifier front end!

Welcome, @nmcc!

If you’re thinking about joining through the program and getting the educational discount on the AD2, you’ll need to purchase through Digilent directly. Unfortunately, shipping is pricey ($54) and there is likely VAT (unless exempt).

As for the part being in stock, it finally is again! The Digilent site has over 3500 in stock!

If you have any other questions, let me know!

2 Likes

Add another vote for the AD2. I’m a massive fanboi of the AD2–I can’t stop recommending it to people every chance I get :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Do you have some info about that front end? A quick google search didn’t show anything.

Also +1 for the AD2. It’s easily the most versatile tool I’ve bought, especially once you start to get into scripting and some of the more advanced features (e.g the continuous capture logging for the oscilloscope helped me fix a hard to spot issue a while back). I wish they didn’t increase the price so much last year, but I understand why they did.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and double-plus-good that the AD2 has so many advocates - I’ve a shelf of occasionally used items which probably cover the majority of the AD2 functionality but not an all-in-one, see it on my big screen, script it to help debug my latest FooBar etc.

I gather you provide an e-voucher that verifies eligibility for education pricing and then I make arrangements direct. As you say, $308 + $54 shipping (!) = ~£270, whereas Farnell appear to have excess stock because they are selling them for £288 so after VAT (sales tax) and the wonders of the UK Customs who are so totally boggled with processing due to our recent divorce from the EU, simplest to crack on with the Journeyman and buy local.

Think the only difference is that the $308 includes a breakout and probes (the CE Bundle) vs the unit by itself. The probes and breakout are nice if you’re doing AC. However, you could also get something like the unit @DC_Innovation is selling and have access to something similar (well, much better, actually)

1 Like

Thanks @ChrisGammell for the shoutout!

I have a link here:

I call it a ground loop detector because that is one of it’s most attractive features (I can send an analog devices paper about this). But measuring microvolts can be applied in a few different applications.

I’ve had a few people interested that couldn’t afford the price, so I am considering selling the plans and files as well for a lower price.

This is why I need to fill in the blanks in my knowledge - no idea what this is about!

Check out this analog devices article:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F_epAv_U_hkfC7Vn2jQpiazRivUbxsy9/view?usp=drivesdk

1 Like

hi @nmcc

completely agree with your original post about how you came to CE!

re: AD2, sorry i might be late to the party, but my experience with sourcing and shipping an AD2 is here: Small, standalone scope recommendation - now that I have it, i love it! but boy was it expensive in the end

best of luck!

1 Like

Slowly getting my house in order (aka tidy my desk) whilst doing actual work. Unfortunately I looked at the Bench check thread and its raised serious kit envy and some questions - none of which are earth shattering but if over the coming weeks people chip in their opinions it may prove illuminating.

So, my desk, which has to be tidy to resolve NDA issues before I can take a picture - is two iMacs (one macOS, older one Windows 10) + an extra screen for the iMac. And attendant keyboard / mice. As much of what I do is firmware or, being the hacker I described at the top of the thread, some database / UI work for the other end of the project (SQL db of some sort, PHP, JS, [HTML, CSS], Python). In front of these two machines is two or three archaeological layers of small PCBs - either own unpopulated or work-in-progress plus a metric-$!±§-ton of vendor dev boards, cables, tools etc.

What is conspicuously absent other than the actual desk surface which I believe is white, is a desktop multimeter, an oscilloscope or a voltage/current controlled power supply.

I have a basic Fluke for when I need to take an accurate reading (usually to calibrate some sensors or battery voltage measurements) plus a Mooshi-meter (dual channel MM over Bluetooth) plus some others that can be put in harms way. I’ve a variety of wall warts at varying voltages plus some small 18650 5V & 3.3V output power thingies.

I do have one of those Sainsmart 200KHz LCD oscilloscopes and whilst ferreting about for where that was, a Bitscope (no probe input, just the digital cables). But I’ve never needed to use them for real - or never thought to use them for real - or known when would be a good time to use them (despite the acknowledged limitations of them).

Most of what I do is very modular and each element can be checked in isolation & swapped out - so debugging hardware is quite rare for me - it’s more the perils of the firmware coupled with the vendors take on providing drivers without examples. If I need to check one of the radio modules (WiFi, 2.4GHz or LoRa) are outputting something, I have known good kit to check with and at worst, an SDR & a cheap VNA to see if there’s any actual signal. Mostly the VNA is to sort though bags of antennas to find a good one for when I need some actual range.

I do see people saying things like “put a 'scope on the I2C line to see what’s happening” but I’m not clear on when or how people arrive at such a situation unless they have really gone to town with their PCB design.

I can see an AD2 being useful for tracking the sequencing of activity from wake, work to sleep across an IoT device as I develop more & more busy ones. But I could in theory use the Bitscope for that. I already have a couple of the power profiler kits for capturing the battery use. It would be interesting to play with an Otti to see if it’s worth the 4x price, I sort of doubt it.

So, have I spent the last 40+ years being held back without my pushbutton multimeter and 'scope?

Why do you have yours, how often does it get proper use and what for?

Or to put it another way, if (or when) your bench caught fire, what would you save & why?

The things i use the most are my salae 16 ( previously most the logic 16) logic analyser and variable power supplies.
on my mini desk setup which i’ve been putting together in the last few months because my primary has been basically totally engulfed . dmm, couple of power supplies, probes, rules, LA, couple, couple of devboards, microscope/magnifier and lamps with a few tools, wihas, cutters etc.

the logic pro 16 i’ve been using as an LA + very simple scope for doing some work designing a new control board for a work project that wasn’t well documented from the original.

i had been thinking about getting the “Analog Discovery Pro” which is a combination device suitable for the smaller device and i much prefer using an app on windows etc than using the tiny screens that come with most standalone test devices.