Laser marking for small-volume production

Laser is a very nice quality finish! Silkscreen on my Joulescope scope fell off but I also don’t mind.

I do find it sort of funny that your CM both doesn’t want to pay for the capx but still wants to impose requirements on it.

Yes, I am not happy with the durability of the printed letters on the JS110. The vendor prints them on a large-format inkjet printer and supposedly UV cures them. However, we have received inconsistent quality. They are supposed to clean the covers first, but I suspect that they often skip this step. I know that they also rushed the curing process on one batch.

With Joulescope 2, I want something that looks great AND is durable.

I am not surprised. They follow OSHA and are ISO certified, so they need to approve any new equipment like this. They are interested in putting some money in. We may end up splitting the cost, but it’s now on me to find a machine that meets the full requirements. Here’s what I came away with from our conversation:

Requirements

• Class 1 or class 2 (for focusing / preview laser) laser system
  • 20W+ MOPA (preferred) or Q-Switched Ytterbium fiber (~1064 nm) for marking & engraving
  • 100 x 100 mm marking area (min)
  • 200 x 200 mm working area (min) with 80 mm Z (min)
  • Galvanometer (not XY gantry) for marking speed & vector data accuracy
  • Easy-to-use user interface for repeat or one-off jobs
  • Scriptable using python for engraving serial numbers
  • Support for vector data sources
  • Adjustable z-axis
  • Focusing assist (can be dual visible lasers, autofocus, etc)
  • Tabletop system (floor-standing ok, but CM has a table set aside for the laser)
  • Fume extractor
  • US-based support with 1+ year warranty
  • < 2 minute cycle time (< 1 minute preferred) for engraving black anodized aluminum, 80 x 40 mm area, 10% engraved, 200 separate regions

Desirable Options

• Preview for operator feedback: bounding box projection or vision system with display
  • Vision system for operator feedback and precision alignment - highly desired
  • Support for raster data sources
  • Motorized z-axis
  • Autofocus
  • Automated door - motorized or pneumatic (shop air available)
  • < $20,000 USD (ok with this being “learning” equipment that may get upgraded if CM finds uses)

I just got an email from Tocho, who I believe I met during a Design2Part show in 2019…
(I don’t have first-hand knowledge of their products or pricing.)

2 Likes

What an infuriating response.

2 Likes

I just saw this on hack a day – someone is working on a python library which implements the ezcad USB protocol!

https://www.bryce.pw/engraver.html

Now I am really tempted to buy a low-cost laser (and build my own enclosure) or buy a non-safety interlock one and add interlocks

1 Like

thats neat , lightburn just added support for ezcad galvos too,

This looks quite good. Seems like it would have interlocks. (sorry, can only generate affiliate links from the app)
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqYurT2

1 Like

I have found that most of these machines from China do not have safety interlocks. They allow you to run the laser with the door open, so it’s up to the operator to be safe. For my contract manufacturer, that’s a non-starter. They need a class 1 laser system. Since I don’t see any mention of class 1, FDA, and it ships with goggles, I would guess that this is another product that is almost safe :wink:

I have been holding off on this purchase, but it’s still on the list! The vendor doing the aluminum enclosure is also going to laser engrave the top. For a total cost of $2.70 including the extrusion, sand blasting, anodizing, cut to length, and laser engraving, I have zero reasons not to have them laser engrave the top. So, I only need to mark the bottom.

I am still leaning towards the LaserGear BOQX. It’s a Chinese laser system with Ezcad, so it’s very expensive for 20W MOPA. However, it is class 1 with US-based support to make my CM happy.

These electric or pneumatic (depending on the model) style of oscillating needle engravers are also interesting. No laser to worry about but you would want your fingers clear. Much more realistic for a small manufacturer to purchase/use themselves maybe, for slightly less resolution. JMZQ-170/JMZD-170 Pneumatic Electric Marking Machine 300w Desktop Car Identification Plate Metal Parts Engraving Machine
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqFto0s

just installing new laser in the garage, its a little bigger than what is needed for marking. but once we get it up and running happy to give feedback/answer questions on it. its 1 kW fibre with 1300x900mm cutting bed and will cut 8mm carbon steel.

chinese laser as most of them are and its pretty well made, we’ve bought from this oem before and they supply places like full spectrum and boss laser (who claim they engineered and designed it in the usa interestingly enough, they did add some go faster stripes to theirs to be fair )

3 Likes

Other than the chiller/cooler what supporting services/infrastructure does it need? Please let us know what the kerf on 8mm steel looks like!

yes it is a chiller, so that plus voltage regulator , 220vac 1ph (claimed 60a but it is not, will update when do the proper numbers), nitrogen , oxygen/air supply, largeish extraction fan which it comes with all the things beyond the tanks for the assist gases

it will run off 3 ph 380vac too. and i will post pics of the kerf , hopefully will get it up on saturday

3 Likes

A really bigger one than ordinary. How does it work. I got a new machine from China too and it works well

Thanks for information

Looks like OMtech now sells an enclosed fiber laser – and their recent models are Lightburn supported. Very very tempting.

https://omtechlaser.com/collections/fm-series-fiber-laser-markers/products/30w-enclosed-fiber-laser-engraver-fmm-3jw5-us

2 Likes

I ended up purchasing the Tykma Electrox LaserGear BOQX for the Joulescope JS220 backside marking. The total price was $18,700 USD including the fume extractor. It’s definitely pricier than other options for the capabilities, but it has a class 1 enclosure my CM trusts with a company we trust. My CM is happy, it is working well, and I’m happy.

I managed to integrate the MiniLase Pro SE software (rebranded EZCAD2) into my python-based final test station. The station performs some testing on the unit and reads off the device info before firing up the laser. The test station runs a python socket server process to communicate the data between the test station python (based upon pytation) and the laser software.

The test station publishes the serial number and manufacturing date to the socket server. The EZCAD2 software has the option to query values from a socket server, and it pulls down these values for each run. I also could not figure out how to fully automate the end time. Pywinauto seemed to work initially but then became unreliable. Not sure why. So, it’s on a fixed delay. A bit hacked together, but it’s working well enough so far.

See it in action:

And here is the python code implemented as a pytation device:

# Copyright 2022 Jetperch LLC
#
# Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
# you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
# You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
#     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
#
# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
# distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
# limitations under the License.

from pytation import Context
import asyncio
import logging
import os
import pywinauto
import socket
import sys
import threading
import time

HOST = '127.0.0.1'
PORT = 1000
EXE = r'C:\Program Files (x86)\Minilase Pro SE\Minilase Pro SE.exe'
PSE = r'C:\repos\template.pse'

class Boqx:
    """The TYKMA Electrox LaserGear BOQX laser.

This laser used the MiniLase Pro SE software (rebranded ezcad2).
    """

NAME = f'BOQX laser'

def __init__(self):
        self.parameter = {
            'serial_number': 'xxxxxx',
            'production_date': 'xxxx-xx-xx'
        }
        self._port = PORT
        self._thread = None
        self._log = logging.getLogger(__name__)
        self._asyncio_loop = None
        self._app = None
        self._win = None

def setup(self, context: Context):
        if context is None:
            exe = EXE
            pse = PSE
        else:
            exe = context.config.get('exe', EXE)
            pse = context.config.get('pse', PSE)
        appname = 'Minilase Pro SE - ' + os.path.splitext(os.path.basename(pse))[0]
        self._app = pywinauto.Application().start(f'{exe} {pse}')
        self._win = self._app[appname]
        # self._win.Properties.print_control_identifiers()
        # self._win.menu_items()
        self._win.minimize()
        self.server_start()

def server_start(self):
        self._thread = threading.Thread(target=self._run_thread)
        self._thread.start()

def server_stop(self):
        client('!stop:')
        self._thread.join()

def restore(self):
        self.parameter['serial_number'] = 'xxxxxx'
        self.parameter['production_date'] = 'xxxx-xx-xx'

def teardown(self):
        self._win.menu_select("File->Exit")
        time.sleep(0.1)
        dlg = self._app.top_window()
        dlg.No.click()
        self.server_stop()

def mark(self, timeout_s=None):
        timeout_s = 60.0 if timeout_s is None else float(timeout_s)
        self._win.send_keystrokes('{F2}')
        t_start = time.time()
        print('mark: wait start')
        while (time.time() - t_start) < timeout_s:
            time.sleep(0.5)
        print('mark: timeout')

async def _handle_client(self, reader, writer):
        print('client: connected')
        try:
            while True:
                cmd = await reader.readuntil(b':')
                cmd = cmd.decode('utf-8')[:-1]
                print(f'command: {cmd}')
                if cmd in self.parameter:
                    rsp = self.parameter[cmd] + '\x00'
                elif cmd == '!update':
                    line = await reader.readuntil(b':')
                    line = line.decode('utf-8')[:-1]
                    print(f'    {line}')
                    for key, value in [x.split('=') for x in line.split(',')]:
                        if key in self.parameter:
                            self.parameter[key] = value
                        else:
                            self._log.warning(f'unsupported key: {key}')
                    rsp = 'OK\n'
                elif cmd == '!stop':
                    self._asyncio_loop.stop()
                    rsp = 'OK\n'
                else:
                    self._log.warning(f'Unsupported command: {cmd}')
                    rsp = 'ERROR\n'
                rsp = rsp.encode('utf-8')
                writer.write(rsp)
                await writer.drain()
        except asyncio.IncompleteReadError:
            print('IncompleteReadError')
        print('client: disconnect')
        writer.close()

def _run_thread(self):
        loop = asyncio.new_event_loop()
        self._asyncio_loop = loop
        asyncio.set_event_loop(loop)
        coro = asyncio.start_server(self._handle_client, HOST, self._port)
        server = loop.run_until_complete(coro)

# Serve requests until Ctrl+C is pressed
        print('Serving on {}'.format(server.sockets[0].getsockname()))
        try:
            loop.run_forever()
        except KeyboardInterrupt:
            pass

# Close the server
        server.close()
        loop.run_until_complete(server.wait_closed())
        loop.close()

def client(cmd):
    if isinstance(cmd, str):
        cmd = cmd.encode('utf-8')
    with socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM) as s:
        s.connect((HOST, PORT))
        s.sendall(cmd)
        rsp = s.recv(4096)
        rsp = rsp.decode('utf-8')
        print(rsp)
        s.close()
3 Likes

lightburn supports a lot of these devices now after the protocol was RE’d their is a python repo with the RE work, though there might be some that the lightburn folks did that didn’t go back in to it (speculation)

https://www.bryce.pw/engraver.html

I am not sure where Balor is with this laser. I really don’t need LightBurn as I would rather just generate the SVG from my python code and be done with it. I ran out of time, and I really did not want to risk damaging anything. So, rebranded EZCAD2 it is for now. EZCAD2 is annoying for creating the image to engrave, but at least it seems to be reliable on the manufacturing line so far.

Neat!

And a minute after I saw that video, this ad popped up in my FB timeline: ComMarker B4 Small Fiber Laser Engraver: 10X Faster & Deeper by ComMarker — Kickstarter

It feels so dangerous and yet so tempting…

This looks like magic. Super cool!

1 Like