Connecting multiple Grounds to one Arduino pin

Hi all,

I am working on a very little assembly which sends signals from two buttons to lights via radio using Adafruit Trinket Pro.

I need to connect 4 wires in total to a single Ground pin. In order to keep the project as small as possible, I am just using the Trinket itself with no stripboard/protoboard.

What would be the most reasonable way to connect all the wires together and into the pin?

Thanks!

Strip the ends of the wires and twist them together pretty much the way you’ve drawn it I would think. I’d twist them together, add some solder and heat shrink tubing to make a solid connection.

Would it work to merge the grounds elsewhere rather than on the PCB ie at the battery or on one or more of the buttons or the transmitter?

Forgive the doctoring of your image. But just as an example

1 Like

I think I’d probably follow what Steve was saying. If I had a small piece of copper clad, I would solder all the wires to that and then have a single wire going off from that hub to the pin. This would be similar to a “star” method of grounding, where the star point would be the copper clad.

That build looks great, thank you for including the picture, I think that helped get the idea across right away.

1 Like

Thanks, all for your suggestions - so good to have a choice of viable options.

Steve, in my case the buttons are far away from each other, so would be good not to run an additional wire between them.

Taking inspiration from Chris’s suggestion, I cut a short piece of perforated stripboard and connected all grounds together:

Let me know if you see anything wrong with this solution and thanks again for your help!

3 Likes

That is some serious hot glue awesomeness :slight_smile:

1 Like