Chris Gammell Build Log

Still need to build up the Shine On boards, which shouldn’t take too long. The RPi programming will likely take me much longer.

I also decided to take on a project with RS485 transceivers. I’ve been meaning to do this for a while and decided i needed to stretch my layout muscles (without filming it). Will update as it gets built:

Repo if you want to follow along:

1 Like

Too lazy to make a 3D model for the connectors, but here’s the view in 3D

1 Like

Just got two of these beauts in the mail, time to start playing around. Maybe another CE header breakout?

1 Like

Update: the blink has blonked!

4 Likes

Just realized my notifications were all messed up on the site, so I haven’t been subscribed to certain topics. If you w ere waiting for a response from me, I’m sorry about that! Also, if you call out my username with an @ symbol, (ie @ChrisGammell) it will ping me even faster.

Achievement unlocked! :slight_smile:

Built up a new RS485 board for the CE header. Not actually planning on making this first rev into a course, just wanted to build some electronics for myself. Excited to test it out, hoping the CE header continues to be a good fit for future projects!

Of note for future boards…need to add some kind of “legs” to the edge of the board if I’m going to have a significant overhang like this, it doesn’t balance under its own weight.

2 Likes

Nice, I’d be interested to try RS485. I’ve not used it before.

Also, I noticed your Isopropyl alcohol in the background. Do you use that to clean flux?

Yep, I do. But this is particularly weak isopropyl (72%) so it’s not that great.

1 Like

Should be able to get at least 91%+ up to 99% at any local drugstore, if I was closer I’d pick some up for you.

1 Like

Yeah, think I got this with my grocery delivery, need to stop by the drug store next time.

1 Like

What is the best way to apply to the board?

I’ve heard toothbrush. Thus far I’ve used eye glasses wipes but they don’t work very good. I ordered these from Amazon yesterday so look forward to trying them out:

I’ve seen many examples on YouTube using KimWipes with a brush. I picked some up a few weeks ago, they seem to work as advertised.

2 Likes

Hi Chris can you send me your email, I wish to refer an advertiser to you.

Hey @ChrisGammell, I’m excited to see how these Beaglephone-Pocket boards turn out. Are these going through the Whizoo reflow oven?

Got my PCBs back, look decent. Parts come in today. pic.twitter.com/dPxFdWleJg

— Chris Gammell (@Chris_Gammell) October 24, 2017

1 Like

Actually planning to take those to the reflow oven at mHub, think it’s a Manncorp

Wow that’s quite the machine! I can imagine Tim Allen using something like that if he needed to spin some boards.

Oh, not a full reflow, it’s one of the desktop ones:

https://www.manncorp.com/reflow-soldering/batch-convection-reflow-ovens/reflow-ovens-bench-top-mc-301.html

Hi @ChrisGammell,
I worked at a small custom PCB contract fab shop in the '90’s. We used aeresol cans of carburetor cleaner and a small nylon brush to remove leaded solder flux. The lead free flux at the time was water soluble.

hi @ChrisGammell,
Did you get your Whizoo oven built? Looked at the kits a few months ago and was very impressed by his latest version. In my opinion these kits are the best route to take next to buying a commercially made oven. I’m planning to build one when time and finances allow. Which oven did you start with?
In one of your posts you encouraged others to not be intimidated by SMD soldering. Have good soldering skills as I’ve had many years experience soldering through hole and little with SMD’s. Not afraid to dive in except the problem I have is poor eyesight. I’m hoping a head mounted magnifier and some type of inspection microscope will make it possible to.
By the way, I really enjoy the AmpHour. Thanks for all your effort