CE Header Schematic

Originally published at: https://contextualelectronics.com/topic/ce-header-schematic/

I was surprised to see you lay out the pins on the schematic in the same orientation as the physical footprint, isn’t it standard to put power on the top, ground on the bottom and group by function?

Also, you didn’t talk about making the power and ground pins as “Power Input”

(Again, sorry for missing comments, have fixed my notifications I believe)

I don’t normally use the pin types. I think this is an unnecessary function of KiCad. It will throw some “Pin not driven” errors during ERC, but I think it’s not worth chasing all of the issues that come from that.

You’re right that many people do the power/ground on the top/bottom by convention but there’s no real standard. I suppose I don’t know why I didn’t do that, if I’m being honest. Maybe future versions? Did you do that on yours?

No problem, there was nothing urgent, just providing my input.

I always try to stick to conventions and start to feel a little anxious when there aren’t any, it’s probably the software developer in me, we’re always doing static code analysis and unit tests to try to catch issues early.

After using KiCad for a bit now I’m starting to see what you mean though, it’s not as useful as it could be, I end up with false errors and it bothers me that I don’t know what it wants me to do to resolve it.

1 Like