Ari Krumbein Build Log

Hi, I’m Ari!

I graduated last year with a Bachelors in Computer Science, but I’ve always been intrigued by hardware, and more generally, being able to understand something at all levels of abstraction (think gate-level logic → state machines → machine code → an application). I took an embedded systems class as my senior design, and really got a kick out of being able to literally rearrange logic on an FPGA, just from hardware description. Though I’ve tried a few times to get going with building hardware, it’s been difficult for me to find a curriculum that is structured enough for me, and to find a project to motivate me to stick with it. I’m hopeful that participating in this community will help me to do both. Very excited to start :slight_smile:

Welcome Ari,
Do you have any particular project in mind that you intend to make a start on?

Hey Ari, Welcome!

Have you seen the Supercon badge? https://hackaday.com/2019/11/04/gigantic-fpga-in-a-game-boy-form-factor-2019-supercon-badge-is-a-hardware-siren-song/

I’d love to get my hands on one (along with everyone else I’m sure), I’m excited to see when the hardware repo has everything updated, I think there will be lots to learn from it and it may give you some ideas for a good project with an FPGA.

I’m thinking I’m going to start at the very beginning with Shine On and then Getting to Blinky, and see how comfortable I feel. Then maybe the CE Header? Still trying to get some inspiration.

Heck yeah! That thing looks cool. I assume that the only way to get one for non-attendees will be to wait for the hardware files to go up on github?

Right, or if they put an official version on Tindie or someone else does after everything goes up on github.