Tweezers or Vacuum Pen or Other for Picking and Placing Parts?

What do people use for picking and placing small parts? Iā€™ve been using tweezers, but theyā€™re always getting sticky with flux and half the time I donā€™t get the part flush to the board because of the way Iā€™ve grabbed it, the other half if I try to let go of the part before itā€™s soldered it sticks to the fluxy tip and the other half I drop and flip the part (yes I know that was three halves).

Iā€™ve looked at vacuum pens but the cheap ones understandably have horrible reviews and Iā€™m not sure if more expensive ones are any better.

Thoughts? Experience?

I recommend titanium and ESD safe plastic tweezers. A lot of what seems like ā€œstickinessā€ is actually magnetism :slight_smile:

I found that a pair of Rhino tweezers (I think Adafruit stocks them) helped a lot. I suspect, as @jonathan stated, that much of the stickiness with my old tweezers was due to magnetism. Are you using a sticky flux? Iā€™ve used a Chipquik super-sticky flux for really hard-to-manage parts (it will even hold parts onto a board upside down). However, at @ChrisGammell suggestion I switched to a non-alcohol mildly activated no-clean flux pen, and have never looked back. It doesnā€™t make anything sticky, but everything solders well. It even helps to add some when trying to clear solder bridges on fine-pitch pins. I have also built a home-brew vacuum pen based on a Hackaday.com design - it worked but using tweezers is faster.

Tweezers. Adafruit.

These work great:

I have a pair of the Rhino ones, but havenā€™t opened the package yet! I just keep going back to mostly the curved $3.95 ones. Habit, I guess.

These are the ones I have:

They seem decent, Iā€™m starting to think itā€™s just user error then.

I have to be careful with the Rhino SW-11 tweezers - they have such a fine point on them Iā€™ve managed to stab myself a few times.

1 Like

The Vetus tweezers have a coating that dissolves if exposed to certain solvents - even isopropyl will start the coating peeling. Kyzen fluid finishes the job :frowning: FYI!

1 Like

@ALeggeUp, Iā€™ve found that some tweezers that are advertised as anti-magnetic can still become magnetic. You might try a different brand and see if it helps. My tendency to be fumble-fingered and drop tweezers onto a concrete floor ā€œpointy end downā€ has given me the opportunity to try a few different tweezers until I was happy with a set.

1 Like

Got it, drop the tweezers on the ground pointy side down and everything will be fixedā€¦ Iā€™ll have to experiment tonight :smiley: