Small, standalone scope recommendation

Here’s the Amazon listing for it: https://www.amazon.com/Rigol-BAG-DS1000-Instrument-DS1000-Oscilloscope/dp/B01C3EFRJO

Like you, I’m pretty impressed by the bang-for-the-buck and also wished, in hindsight, that I had gotten the generator and analyzer options. I have other tools for that, but I think having it all in one portable box would come in handy.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, I have an AD2 which I was bought about a month before the shortage hit last year. I got a cheap function generator on the way from AliExpress that will do the trick for any simple stuff. I have a Saelee which belongs to my client, but I haven’t been terribly impressed (had some trouble with the serial capture and also the Python program interface). It just sits on the shelf and I used the AD2 when those logic analyzer things arise.

I do miss the pouch on top of the older scopes where you could stash the probes and other accessories.

It actually has a bit of a meshed “overhead” pocket on the top flap! The bag is roomy enough that you can stash a few things to go along with the scope and probes.

1 Like

@phil_from_seattle / @ToyBuilder - a funny update regarding shipping - i ordered the AD2 to someone in the US shipping cost $4.99, 3-5 days via FedEx… ok, no worries (plus tax of course)… checked the shipping notice… it was coming from Taiwan! So… it was only $4.99 shipping Taiwan to US, but $30 to get to Sweden :man_shrugging:

(i figure they would normally have stock in the US, but due to current situation, don’t and are fulfilling orders as fast as possible direct from Taiwan, but are not changing shipping costs… but still a slight chuckle)

The saga is finally over! My AD2 finally arrived, and I installed it into my workbench - as you can see, space is EXTREMELY tight! but it works

thanks everyone for the help and advice :slight_smile:

$7 android + r-Pi pico oscilloscope : https://hackaday.com/2021/06/26/raspberry-pi-pico-oscilloscope/

@ToyBuilder, just wanted to follow up and thank you for the oscilloscope bag recommendation. I kept putting it off because it was a slight hassle getting shipped to South Korea. Last month I took my first trip since Covid, working on-site in a government research lab helping my client install an industrial machine. After lugging my stuff in a cardboard box, I decided to pull the plug and ordered the bag. It’s really perfect for my needs.

I might appear quite the professional, showing up with my scope in this carrying case, except for the cheap ( $20 ) plastic fishing tackle box I bought to tote an assortment of electronics tools, cables, and small modules. Oh well, it’s better than a cardboard box.

You’re welcome @rclott!

Speaking of cases, I recently got to participate in a factory tour of the SKB case company in Anaheim. They make hard shell plastic cases made via injection molding and via roto-casting.

Their rotocasting line lets them make giant cases:

Their injection molding press is “the largest west of the Mississippi”:

Their cases are similar to Pelican cases, but their latches come with release levers which make them open/close quietly. Here’s some of their cases on display in their showroom:

1 Like

You’re sure to get a lot of questions if you carry your tools to the site in that Bovine Insemination Kit box.

1 Like

Oh, I just remembered that they have factory tour videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoL7vep7NjM