Recommendations for PCB assembly in USA?

That’s nice that if you’re already using such well-known PCBA companies in China.
But here are more companies listed.
pcbcrew.com/apps/ranking

+1 to this. Local shops seem to all still be in the “email files around and then email quotes and POs around” work flow, but the trade off is that they generally care abut your business. Or at least, you can get a direct feel for whether they want to do your complexity / quantity… email seems antiquated, but I also don’t like working with shops that deign to do my job. Once you get a good contact point, your next orders tend to go much more quickly.

If you need to make sure that not only is the work being done in the USA, but the design files aren’t leaving the borders, you can look for assemblers that support ITAR jobs. But, this also works if you just want to ensure all of the work is being done in the USA.

I’m in the SF Bay Area.

• Bay Area Circuits, mostly automated quoting (but assembly still goes through a DFM / human pass), pricier than others but board and assembly quality has been consistently high. Lots of stackup options and materials.
  • Green Circuits, OK work (an occasional issue like wrong polarities), they can hussle if you need to pay for hussle. Quoting has been quite slow recently however. They are willing to handle oddball mixed assembly that require jigs and such.
  • Sonic Manufacturing Technologies, a little slow on the quoting (~ 1 week), but good prices and their work has been good including fine pitch BGAs on boards with blind/buried/filled vias etc.

I’ve consistently heard good things about Screaming Circuits but haven’t tried them yet (their quotes have always just been a little higher than my local shops)

1 Like

Any recommendations for companies based in Texas? Smaller shops are OK as I’d like to give my customer a range of options, and I’ve already been given some good “large, automate-everything” sites.

I know MacroFab HQ is in Texas, but their “network of factories” appears to be Mexico and China?

Thanks

Most assembly houses do not fabricate their own boards – they will outsource that to a PCB fab house. Depending on customer preference or pricing, it might be done in the US or sent out to China.

As @ToyBuilder said, it’s common for CMs to source their PCBs from overseas. Very few fab their own boards. Some let you consign your own boards (as mentioned by @coflynn with Bittele). If you don’t want your supply chain touching China, there are many good board-houses in Taiwan. @gregdavill has used Multech and can speak to his experiences there. When I was working for a large multinational, one of our board houses was WUS. I got many HDI boards from there and the quality was superb. A local Canadian CM I’ve worked with got their boards from JunBon and the quality was pretty good, no issues I ran into.

Personally, I want to give Multech a shot in the future.