I’ve made over 700 boards (in panels of 5 or 2) with the Neoden 4. Single sided, mostly 0805, 0603, TSSOP, SOT23, SOD and QFN…
Overall, I’m happy with the machine. The customer service of Neoden has always been super responsive and I have really appreciated dealing with them.
It’s not perfect however, and here are a few issues I’ve been dealing with:
- It takes forever to setup a new job because you need to start from scratch: I have parts that I use on almost all my board (e.g. 100nF caps) but the machine does not “remember” the current stackup you just used for the previous job, so I have to re-enter that info again.
- A couple of 0805 reels in my setup have a 10% mis-pick rate (0805 LED and 0805 resistor), despite tweaking the various parameters available.
- A few rare times, the tape does not peel off some reels correctly and then blocks the pick mechanism. Changing the “peel strength” doesn’t work but attaching a small weight on the tape seems to fix it but feels a bit “quirky”.
- I’ve never managed to get the vibration feeder to work correctly for the small TSSOP-20 tubes I have.
- I’ve had to mod the 24mm feeders to get them to work flawlessly.
- The user manual could be better
I hope I can find some tips here to improve my use of the machine in this forum.