Microscope recommendation needed

i wanted dual video output from the camera, so i ordered this box, and confirmed it works with the camera, 2k monitor and capture card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J2Q9NPH/

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and thoughts. I went for the Amscope SM-3T with the 144 LED light ring. The optical quality is fantastic. ā€“ Seems as good as the Nikon with the fiber optic light ring I had at my last day job. I canā€™t wait for financial justification for a camera!

3 Likes

Nice!

I just moved and Iā€™m setting up a somewhat similar configuration to yours. Iā€™m a hot air user though.

Hot air is on the wish list. I started a thread on the topic last month. I am waiting until I have a customer or R&D requirement before I buy.

I like the microscope cover. But, the table is a little to clean to be doing any work!

I just set it up yesterday :slight_smile:. I havenā€™t actually built anything on it, yet, and I still need to add an outlet in order to get electricity to it.

Microscope cover also serves as a banya hat.

I have the AmScope SM-4TZ-144A here, very similar, plus the USB camera. Feeding the camera to a desktop monitor works great for inspection or extended periods of heads-up detail work. Also use an OptiVisor and a illuminated 7x aspheric hand magnifier, sometimes both in series.

Hey Darryl (or anyone else that might know) -

I have always avoided the ring light illuminators because I WANT shadows. If gives depth/3D to what Iā€™m doing so I can see how far the part is off the board as I place it. Plus it shows defects better when trying to show a supplier. So Iā€™ve always used directional light sources. Well, I need something better than Iā€™m using today for my AmScope.

So, I see the SM-4TZ-144A has a ring light that has 4 zones and claims to be able to show shadows, etc. How does it work? Does it really work as claimed? Occasionally, having a full ring would be nice but good directional light is a priority. So, how well does that work?

Thanks,
Keith

the amscope ring light i have on my boom scope has the three circles of leds at slight angles with a narrow beam, they cast somewhat of a shadow i can grab some pics if it helps, though not always easy to capture

LEDs are controlled by quadrant, each independently switched with the 4 arrow buttons. The level can be set with the +/- buttons. So you should be able to cast shadows in 4 directions.

FYI, I stumbled upon this today: https://www.inspectar.com/

yeah itā€™s really neat, there are a couple versions now. itā€™s 1K per year for the desktop app and since its in my wheelhouse i ended up just rolling my own. i should tidy it up and throw it on github, its one of those apps that has just grown in specific utility for my use case so i may try to do a specific version. it started off as an app to measure circles.

1 Like

The fact that thatā€™s in your wheelhouse is impressive! Iā€™d be interested in a macro version for inspectors checking large assemblies.

1 Like

apologies to the thread for off-topicness, but here is a stitched image from my eakins with an auto XY table. iā€™m still in dev with it but its pretty basic capture, move, capture, stitch(with helion at the moment) my next step is to have the focus stack + the xy capture.

also apologies for dust and what not, but weā€™re in socal so fire, and we just had insulation and drywall work so our place is dust central at the moment.

iā€™m driving a tinyg to control the xy, a stickvise to hold the pcb and a couple of Amazon.com held together with a 3d printed block. i didnā€™t overlay the pcb schematic since iā€™m working on the camera control side.

1 Like

I am shopping for the HAYEAR 34MP also. I have a setup with a microscope, but itā€™s annoying to dismantle wires etc when I need to do a modification

@ChrisGammell: Seems like you have a camera distance of at least 60cm. Do you need other special lense than than the 0.5x to do that?

I use the one that comes with it, Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s 0.5x or what. Itā€™s a pretty long lens though, physically.

One thing that helps is even if you are further away, the digital zoom will make up the difference. Itā€™s adjustable up to 5x. There is some image degradation, but nothing terrible.

I was having a bunch of trouble with the clamp solution I was using, since it was actually two of the clamps coupled together. They really didnā€™t hold the position very well, especially in the ā€œpointing straight downā€ orientation.

It was disappointing the manufacturer didnā€™t put a mounting screw hole on there, but I suppose this is what I got a 3D printer for, right?? :smiley: I modeled a couple different holding solutions and 3D printed a holder.

Pretty happy with the final product:

If anyone wants the STL, let me know

2 Likes

After reading all of this and talking to a friend of mine, I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RNCQJG3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

from this thread, but it seems I have to get extremely close to get the maximum magnification. Am I doing something wrong? I was a bit disappointed because until now I have been using something like: Helping Hands Soldering With LED Magnifier and USB Fan, 3 Brightness LED Third Hand Tool Station with 6 Flexible Gooseneck Arm Heavy Metal Base for DIY Craft Solder Detailed Electronics Repair Jewelry Office Supplies Office Instruments Magnifiers
(I canā€™t find the Amazon link for the one I actually bought).

I noticed that none of you guys used anything like that, but I was hesitant to jump all the way to a double boom microscope.
My helping hands magnifier seems to get better magnification without me having to bend over the board.

I suppose I have a two part question:

1. Am I doing it wrong?
  2. It it worth the plunge to get the nice new AmScope? I just donā€™t want to get caught up with shiney! new! syndrome, spend a bunch of money, and then use something else.

My eventual goal is to be able to make boards with FPGAā€™s on them. I realize that I will probably pick and place for those chips, but I hear that I will have to be able to do rework anyway.

those just seem bulkier forms of ā€œreader spectaclesā€ if you have bad eyesight levels of magnification a microscope digital or analog has way more magnification i use those for some desk work assembly to help with worsening vision but yes you need to hold the thing close to your face for it to work , higher the magnification the close you have to get

i use the digital camera/monitor version the most nowadays, i have the boom trinocular amscope and a mantis scope but i just prefer the camera because it offers way more features and gets in the way less.

the mantis i prefer to amscope for rework since its ā€œ3dā€ but its a lot more expensive even in the used fleabay market though the mantis i have is a bit more cumbersome to deal with space wise than a boom microscope since its really meant for production setups

I use microscope for very fine stuff, but for 0402 and up I use a headband. It is much more flexible than a microscope, and fast

I use one similar to this one:

https://www.elextra.dk/da-DK/p/GS/H39225?utm_source=GoogleAds&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQiAip-PBhDVARIsAPP2xc0YrOGOT_xbfPflbPytIePxXzdPPbsAt14aRuVQHwB-IanxrOwvxK8aApXREALw_wcB