Getting to blinky component values

I have been working through the videos for the getting to blinky kicad series. I went to go order components for building my board (which should hopefully arrive soon) and I noticed that there are a lot of values that pop up over and over again. Why are the values like 3.3 and 6.8 repeating for lots of component values? Do other people notice these patterns?

1 Like

@Getoctords,

Yep, there’s definitely is a pattern. You may want to check out https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/electronic_components/resistors/standard-resistor-values-e-series-e3-e6-e12-e24-e48-e96.php .

Thank you brooke. I see there is a pattern from reading that page. But it doesn’t seem to say why. Just that there is a pattern.

I also saw I mis-spelled “blinky” to “bligky”, so I fixed that :smirk:

Ah-ha! But reading that these are called “E-series” I was able to look it up on wiki pedia:

1 Like

Ah apparently that was in the first page too: “These standard resistor values have a logarithmically based sequence and this enables the different values to be spaced in such a way that they relate to the component tolerance or accuracy.” I guess I just didn’t understand it like it says on the wuiki page.

1 Like