Gary Hucker Build Log

Here’s a tip if you want to install Waveforms on Fedora workstation. I received an error relating to libc6 v2.14 not installed although the later version of libc6 is already installed.
I got around it by using this command…
sudo rpm --install --nodeps -vh digilent.waveforms_3.7.5.x86_64-2.rpm

Linux Mint wasn’t so hard - just install Adept 2 first (found on same page as Waveform linux download).

Okay - I measured the AC power supply with the battery installed in the charger and the scope reads 12.5V (25V p-p) and the multimeter reads about 9.56V.
I was assuming the discrepancy between the two measuring devices was because the multimeter is a true RMS reading and the scope is not?
If Vrms = Vp / √2 then 12.5/√2 = 8.84.
It doesn’t = 9.56 reading from MM.

Maybe I should crank up the old HP analog scope and see what it reads…

What is the current rating of the AC adapter?

The equation Vp / √2 assumes a perfect sinusoidal waveform. If there is any distortion the meter could give a slightly different reading. Also, with the scope you are looking at one peak whereas the meter is measuring continuously. Any variation in the amplitude of the waveform over time will also result in a discrepancy between the two methods of measurement.

Thanks for the detailed prompt reply.
375mA output at 8V.
The waveform is a little distorted; your explanation makes sense and explains the discrepancy after taking RMS into account.
Correct me if I’m wrong but does this mean that any AC voltage reading taken via a scope should be converted to RMS before doing any other calculations?

Ah, 8V. Looking back at your posts I see you never said it so I must have assumed it was a 12V adapter. And in that case, with an unloaded output voltage so close to it’s rated voltage I also assumed it was a decent quality low current (100ma or so) adapter. But no, it’s just a cheapie. :wink:

No, not necessarily, it depends what you are trying to measure. If you are measuring the RMS output power of an audio amplifier, for example, then yes. In the case of your adapter, both measurements were correct they just represented two different aspects of the waveform. Knowing how they differed allow you to convert one to the other.

Thanks again @1.21Gigawatts

It’s quite old and fairly basic I would say.

My CE Header and Teensy boards turned up yesterday. Installed Arduino IDE and Teensyduino. Just waiting for some more bits and the sensor board to turn up.

In the meantime I have a project where I will be using a teensy to convert an old IBM Model F keyboard so I can use it on a modern PC.

I built the CE Header and the Sensor Board and assembled them a few weeks ago and here’s the result. I’m still waiting for the “grabby things”, hence the bodge in for the probes.

All working fine albeit for the LED intensity is quite low because of the wrong resistors installed. They were the only ones I had on hand. I have ordered some 56ohm ones which I think will drive the LEDs properly.

2 Likes

Getting familiar with my new, and old scopes by probing the HP 5036A Microprocessor Lab. The lab is great for learning microprocessors, albeit an 8 bit Intel 8085.

Kitchen tables make great workspaces!

1 Like

That microprocessor lab looks great! Reminds me of the KIM 1.

Just submitted the CSOS board gerbers to OSH Park. Looking forward to building this one.

It looks like the BUK9575-100A,127 MOSFET is obsolete now and I’ve been looking for a substitute. I was just wanting to confirm the one I found is within specs before I go ahead and order it. It looks okay to me but if anyone can run their eye over it to see if I’ve missed anything, that would be appreciated.

The transistors are not identical. To know if the IRF3315PbF can replace the BUK9575 requires information about the circuit it will be used in. In particular the Vgs of the BUK9575 is ~3V at the rated current, but the IRF3315 has a Vgs of ~5V at rated current. Therefore it depends on the voltage you will be driving the gate with and current required by your load.

I should have mentioned it’s for the CSOS so I guess I will need a 3V? I’ll take a closer look at the circuit as I having trouble tracking down a 3V mosfet.
Thanks @1.21Gigawatts

I’m not sure if this is an option for you or not, but you can always check ebay for some new old stock of BUK9575-100a. It might be worth it if you just need one to finish your board. I know I’ve had to do that on occasion.That way you wouldn’t need to worry about finding a substitute.

Thanks @jonthomasson for your suggestion. That is a good idea but it’s been confirmed that the substitute in question is okay to use so I’ll use those for now.

The Current Sink or Swim is built and ready to test.

I’m looking forward to the testing phase.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Difficulty breadboarding an FM circuit