Environmental test chamber

Hi there!

I am looking for an environmental test chamber to expand the tests capabilities of my shop.
Very often I am asked to measure circuit behavior at low/high temperature and I would like to offer something more professional than air hot gun/freezing spray…
Here the some requirements/nice to have I am after:

1. Temperature range -20C to 105C (minimum)
  2. Not to big (25 liters should be enough)
  3. Dedicated aperture for DUT cables connection.
  4. Controlled humidity is a nice to have.

I have seen there are plenty of options on Alibaba.
In case someone has tried some of them, having a brief review will be really appreciated.
Thank you all!

Andrea

I looked at various overseas ones, but found a reasonable deal on a local (== within Canada, as shipping is much easier then) used one.

FWIW there isn’t as much going on with them as I expected, the electronics part is mostly off-the-shelf. The refrigeration part can be serviced by most local type of shops as it’s similar to any dual-stage unit like medical supply might be using. Basically if the compressor and other key parts are good I doubt you’d have trouble keeping it running. Here are some shots of what’s inside of one in case it’s useful as a bit of a reference for what you’re paying for.

I’d be pretty comfortable with both a used one & the alibaba ones, having seen what’s inside them. For me the freight costs made a significant difference, as did finding one the right size & circuit requirements (this one is powered with 120V/20A so makes it easy for me). Concern around the observation window material & what refrigerant are in use made me a little more unsure about the overseas ones.

5 Likes

Totally jealous.

2 Likes

I just listen to the Vapor Phase Amp Hour episode. This is totally the acquisition to justify upgrading both soldering and temperature testing capability!

1 Like

There are peltier based coolers/heaters that can be used to make your own as well

1 Like

Old thread, but I just bought a Yamato DKN-402C “laboratory oven” with cable port - no compressor, only heating. It goes up to 250°C, 90 L internal volume, forced convection, has a window and can do programmed profiles. I wanted it for ALT, and can’t justify a [new] thermal chamber with cooling.

https://www.yamato-scientific.com/product/show/dkn402_2/

Yamato’s website says ‘discontinued’, but I talked to two distributors that said Yamato’s internal catalogue still shows it as actively in production.

I’ll report back with how I find it!

3 Likes

So, it turns out I can’t import Yamato ovens into Canada because they can’t be CSA certified. I ended up pulling the trigger on a TPS Tenney Jr Compact environmental chamber (might even be the same one that @coflynn has): Tenney Junior Compact Temperature Test Chamber | Tenney

It comes in “bench” and “cabinet” configurations. I got the cabinet, since the cost was the same. I shaved off some cash by not getting a front window.

I was hoping to get a Thermotron, but the cost was a little higher and the LT was 15 weeks minimum, which wouldn’t work for the client work I have coming up. Here’s hoping the Tenney delivers in the expected 5 weeks!

Chamber arrived today! Moving into my garage was easier than anticipated with the help of two people.

4 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like