555 Timer circuit question

Hello all again! This has to be super simple, but I cannot figure this out for the life of me. I have T8 LED lights in my shed that run from 12V DC and they are/were activated by a motion sensor attached to a simple 555 IC set to keep the lights on for 2 minutes once the motion sensor triggered. That part works, but since I moved the circuit to a soldered project board, the circuit doesn’t discharge the capacitor when motion is sensed during the 2 minute count down to keep the lights on for another 2 minutes without turning them off. I built the circuit about 3 years ago on a basic breadboard and it was much too large and sketchy to leave it like that anymore. Maybe there was something different on the breadboard than my new smaller circuit, but I have traced everything I can from the pictures I took before taking it down.

How can I reset the capacitor charge upon trigger without resetting the output of the 555. Basically, if the output is low and trigger brought low, flip output to high and begin charging cap. If trigger is brought low at any point while capacitor is charging, leave output high, but discharge capacitor to reset time. I can post a schematic of needed. Any help is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

A simple way to do this is to use the 555 as a “missing pulse detector” (the same circuit works as a “retriggerable one-shot multivibrator”, which is what you’re looking for). You can google either term to select from different ways of doing this.