Bench check (please share your setup)

Thanks @hedrickbt ! it’s been a good week.

I moved from Milwaukee to Las Vegas which gave me an opportunity to upgrade my bench space, so I figured I’d post an update. Original post was Aug 1 for comparison.

and my overflow gear

Soldering:
WES51 and a 1960’s (I think) version of the same thing. I’ve got one of those Radio Shack desoldering deals with the rubbler bulb on it somewhere…

DMMs
Fluke 77, a variety of old Fluke/Tek bench meters and a bunch of those free harbor freight meters.

Scopes
Tek MSO2024 and an old Tek 932 that got channel 1’s Volt/div knob broken in my move. Hoping I can find parts for it.

Power
That Long-Wei 30v deal there on the bench, and an old version of the same thing (B&K I think) in my overflow stash. Also a bunch of home made and random supplies.

Computing
I have a $150 Dell laptop I got on Black Friday a year ago running Ubuntu. Slow and horrible, but works fine for Arduino stuff and basic internet research on the bench. My main computer is a Dell XPS something-er-other desktop. All of this connected to an ESXi server and running FreeNAS (soon to be Nutanix CE) on the backend for storage (block and file).

Hand tools
Cheap-o-delux set of screw drivers off all sizes/shapes.

Microscopes
Does an illuminated jewelers loupe count? $2 at American Science and Surplus. (Chris, you MUST go there now that you live in Chicago)

Lighting
14 watt candelabra ceiling fan light kit. That is to say, no lighting. I use a camping headlamp at the moment. Working on something to mount under my parts drawers.

Dev Board
Arduinos everywhere and Raspberry Pi’s.

MISSING From my Bench ( I like this one so I’m keeping it in there):
3D printer
SMD capability.
I’m sure there is more, but I don’t have the skills to justify much else.

I think that’s it. Just wanted to share my update.

Brian

1 Like

Soldering

• Voltage controlled soldering iron?
    Yes. Huakko 937. (yes, a crappy clone)

• Low cost hot air pencil?
    No. I have used a paint stripping heat gun though!

• Do you have any reflow equipment
    Not yet. On the list of things to make. I have an old front loading kiln that will become a reflow oven once I get the thermocouple for it and a PID controller made on an Arduino.

DMMs

• How many handheld DMMs? Which ones?
    2 total, Fluke8060A and Victo VC890C+
  • Best resolution DMM on your bench?
    5.5 digits

Scopes

• Do you have a 2 channel or higher oscilloscope that uses probes?
    Yes
  • What is the rated bandwidth of your most-used scope?
    25 MHz but my new-to-me 2225 is going to get more use.
  • Do you feel your scope covers your needs sufficiently?
    Yes

Power supply

• Do you have a programmable bench power supply?
    No. But I do have an adjustable bench supply: GW3020
  • How many outputs does it have?
    3 - 2 adjustable and one 5v

Logic Analyser

• Saleae 24M 8ch cheap clone I got in a Hackerbox. On my list of things to replace with the genuine article.

Function Generator

• Simple project based on an AD9850 module but just does sine and square waves.

Photo to follow…

1 Like

Soldering

• Hakko FX-951
  • Sparkfun Hot Air station that was given to me

DMM

• 2x Fluke 87V
  • Some Extechs laying around

Scopes

• Rigol DS1074Z Unlocked with high quality probes and 2 high voltage probes.
  • Analog Discovery 2

Logic

• 2x Saleae Logic Pro x16 so I can monitor a number of things at once.
  • Bus Pirate
  • Bus Blaster
  • Chip Whisperer
  • Jtagulator

Power Supply

• Rigol DP832 Unlocked
  • BK Precision 1550
  • Numerous boards/batteries/etc

Programmers

• EETools Topmax II Universal Programmer
  • Atmel ICE
  • PICkit 3
  • Segger Jlink
  • Xilinix
  • Altera/Intel FPGAs
  • Renesas
  • STLink
  • Lattice programming cable
  • Silego GreenPak programmer
  • AVRISP II

Other test equipment

• Heathkit vacuum tube tester
  • Atlas DCA Pro transistor tester

Other

• Ultimaker 2+ and others in storage

Vision

• 3.5x dental loupes
  • Optivisor with additional loupe going up to ~6x
  • Inspection Microscope on an arm.

On my bench I have a Rigol 1102E dual channel scope and a Rigol DMM 3058E 5.5 digits.

I also have a Rigol wave function generator and a Rigol bench programmable power supply… Currently on my wish list is a Rigol DSA 800 series spectrum analyser.

Ok, yes I know. I have the hots for Rigol LOL I like the aesthetic appeal of all the gear matching.

I have a hot air pencil and soldering station. No reflow capabilities.

Arduinos & Pis everywhere. I’d like a 3D printer but I haven’t got the space for it.

2 Likes

Did that thing ever show up?

No, I haven’t checked in a while, but I just looked and it still shows up in my orders, they never actually admit that it’s on backorder, they just keep pushing the estimated delivery date every day:

ADALM2000-backorder

• Soldering

•     Yes. Aoyue 2901 and Hakko 888D

•     Yes. Sparkfun 303D

•     I have a toaster oven and a DMM with thermocouple.  Works well.

• DMMs

•     Fluke 87 V

•     Sparkfun VC830L (the ones that got seized)

•     Waiting for an eevblog 121GW

• Best resolution DMM on your bench?

•     5.5 digits - Siglent SDM3055

• Scopes

•     Yes, Rigol DS1054Z (upgraded)

• What is the rated bandwidth of your most-used scope?

•     100 MHz

•     No - really want something that could go to 500MHz

• Power supply

•     Do you have a programmable bench power supply?

•         Yes, cheap Tekpower TP3005P

•     Just one

A few upgrades for the bench.

• JBC DDE dual workpiece station with the electric pump desoldering module.
  • JBC JTSE hot air station with thermocouple temperature control. Some of the boards I encounter can make a battleship nod in appreciation.
  • Amscope gets the job done
  • Hakko fume extractor. I’d prefer a big unit with hoses but it would be too much of a pain to pack up.
  • Board securing devices
  • Kimwipes
  • ESD gloves mostly because I work with leaded solders and some aggressive fluxes and the finger tips are coated. It’s far more comfortable than wearing nitrile gloves for hours. I have a heavier duty set for working over a preheater
  • Dispenser bottles for 99.9% IPA and flux cleaner.
  • Pickett N-515-T Electronics slide rule just because.
  • Knipex electronic ‘super knips’

I moved my DM3068 bench multimeter to set between the two units, and ordered a dedicated Rigol waveform generator as the one built into the scope is a bit wimpy on the voltage output, and a Rigol programable load for testing batteries. Main power supply is a Rigol DP832 as well.

I have zero desire to work on consumer electronics outside of preserving old computers. What I have the training and qualifications for is in the high reliability realms. Using the same equipment I have at work lets me keep in practice.

EDIT: Add that off to the left off camera is a DP832 power supply, DL3021 programable load, DG1022 waveform generator and a mess carefully kept off camera with all of the leads and text fixtures for batteries and such. Off to the side there’s a spot welder for battery packs. The hot air station gets used for heat shrink tubing too.

3 Likes

My bench from about two years ago. I just finished relocating it to my new house last weekend, everything is stored in the new room (an unused, walk-in pantry). Need to get a new table and begin organization.

Soldering

• Voltage controlled soldering iron?
    • Yes, though not sure it was low-cost. Quick 990D (looks like a Chinese knock-off of the Hakko 850)
  • Desoldering equipment
    • Nope. On the to-do list

DMMs

Scopes

Power supply

• Three: +/-30V adjustable @ 3A x 2 channels, 5 VDC fixed @ 3A x 1 channel
1 Like

In reply to user Corelogic: Back in college, around 1983?, I randomly decided to take the Ham radio Extra Class license exam at a local hamfest. To my surprise I passed the Morse code test, so I proceeded to take the theory portion of the exam. The proctor said I had to erase all memory from my calculator to use it during the test. I refused, since I had a ton of programs, painstakingly typed in, that I was actively using in my engineering classes. I happened to have a slide rule in my backpack that I had been learning to use over the summer. I asked if I could use it instead, and he said okay. During the test be came by and asked if I needed a bucket of water to cool my slipstick! To this day, I proudly proclaim that my license is Amateur Extra Class with the Slide Rule endorsement.

• Soldering
  • ERSA i-CON1
  • Madell 8502
  • T-962 with upgraded controller
  • DMMs
    1. Some crappy ones plus EEVBlog’s 121GW and Brymen 235 or whatever it’s called.
  • Scopes
  • Tektronix 2024B
  • 200 MHz, 1GS7s, 4+16 channels
  • Yes, but I would prefer a hardware based serial decode.
  • Power supply
  • Yes. TENMA 72-10480. Also have a PS3005
  • single output
  • Extra Kit
  • Vision Engineering Mantis compact!! LOVE that thing!!
  • Agilent 53220A 15-digit universal counter/timer
  • GPSDO oscillator
  • GW INSTEK AFG-21122 arbitrary generator
  • Abacom EZ-PICK manual pick and place machine. Super handy and easy to use!
  • 1212 4-axis CNC router
  • ZYYX prosumer 3D printer
  • Segger J-TRACE
  • Microchip REAL-ICE

Well look what finally showed up, well over a year later

Now to remember what I wanted to do with it.

1 Like

It’s about time! It looked like a promising piece of gear for the price, who would have known they would have so much trouble delivering it.

I look forward to your review! :wink:

In the spirit of bench checking, I haven’t seen any love for Picotech oscilloscopes (https://www.picotech.com/). I use them exclusively for my day to day lab work and prefer the PC interface to a separate scope. Being PC based also allows for automating data captures if you are working on repetitive waveform measurements, though I haven’t delved too deep into the automated functions.

Soldering
Voltage controlled soldering iron?
Yes, Hakko FX-888D

Low cost hot air pencil?
Nope, haven’t had the need yet

Do you have any reflow equipment
Nope, haven’t had the need yet

DMMs
How many handheld DMMs? Which ones?
Brymen BM235 and Mastech MS8268
Best resolution DMM on your bench?
5.5 digits: Siglent SDM3055, Agilent 3478A, 2x Agilent U2741A
I’d love to have a 7.5 “eBay special” for experimentation, but 5.5 is more than I need 90% of the time

Scopes
Do you have a 2 channel or higher oscilloscope that uses probes?
Yes, Rigol DS1054Z and Agilent U2702A
What is the rated bandwidth of your most-used scope?
100 MHz
Do you feel your scope covers your needs sufficiently?
Yes, also using a U2351A for DAQ

Power supply
Do you have a programmable bench power supply?
Yes, Rigol DP832 and Keithley 2281S-20-6

How many outputs does it have?
3 on Rigol and one on Keithley

I’ve become a big fan of BenchVue but the Agilent/Keysight gear is a bit too pricey for my budget. I’ve had really good luck buying and selling on eBay, although it certainly comes with high risk

I have one of those cheapie DC load devices from Amazon but have been trying to chase down a programmable instrument on eBay. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Ideally something supported by Keysight BenchVue :wink: 6060B looks good but way too expensive for my budget

I’m just starting to get equipment, so this discussion is great! I’ve got a Micronta DMM which has done very well for me over the years. I’ve also just acquired a 100Mhz TEK 2246 2-channel scope from eBay a few months ago – it seems to be working quite well.

I’m looking at getting an on-desk microscope tied directly or indirectly to a 27" monitor. I’ve also got an excellent laptop (MSI modded for gaming, lol) that I’ve set up with KiCAD and various other software tools. Anyone have recommendations for a microscope?

A zoom stereo microscope on a boom mount with a dedicated camera port (and camera included) can be purchased new from AmScope.com, for several hundred dollars, but build quality is not best. Maybe something like this https://www.amscope.com/7x-45x-trinocular-stereo-microscope-with-80-led-light-1-3mp-usb-digital-camera.html
Nikon, Leica and Olympus are much better quality but come with a higher price. Ebay is an option.

Joe Schober

1 Like

i have that amscope, its great, solid had it about 5 years or so. i use it with this
https://www.amazon.com/OMAX-Digital-Microscope-Calibration-Compatible/dp/B016YJOK3I/

but recently i’ve been using the

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Autofocus-1080P-60FPS-SONY-IMX290-HDMI-TF-Video-Auto-Focus-Industry-Video-Microscope-Camera-180X-C/32867628649.html

which is virtually lag free so i can solder in it easily as well as do hires captures, i don’t even need the mantis with that.

1 Like

I bought a PicoScope some years ago and it was the worst piece of crap I have ever laid my hands on! Awful user interface, the triggering possibilities were very limited, and the results were so noisy it was practically useless. I have experienced some other models, too, which were also dismal. So no love from me, and I’ve been put off Pico forever.